


Our second son, Zachary, was born fifteen years ago today. After Matthew's difficult birth and subsequent NICU scare, Zachary's birth was, in comparison, a peaceful and grace-filled event. In addition, he was a long-awaited blessing because I had lost two babies to miscarraige previously. I had questioned whether God would allow me to have the large family I so desired. And then came Zach. From his very birth, he was a calm, gentle soul. It sounds "cliche", but from day one he brings to mind the thought..."he is a good boy." Now, as Christians, we know that no one is "good." And he has shown some selfish and stubborn streaks along the way, as all people do. But in general, he has been such a joy to parent. Everything about him was always easy and I had so many hopes for his life. Then came his diagnoses and I felt the crushing loss of a "normal" life for my son. But he has proven that even with his diabetes, "he is a good boy." Now, don't get me wrong. I don't love him more than my other children, or think that he is perfect. I just so appreciate the blessing that he is to us. And I am very proud of him for taking such good care of his health, when statistics show that so many teens live in denial or rebellion of proper diabetic control. When I think that he has given himself 4 shots a day for 18 months and rarely complained, I am grateful. Of coarse, I still have those high hopes for his future. I can see how the trials of living with this disease have not stolen his spirit and determination. I can't wait to see what God will do with his life as he grows closer each day to becoming the man that God has intended. Happy Birthday, Zachary!
6 comments:
Nice!
Happy Birthday Zach! God has blessed you tremendously Shannon!!
Happy Birthday to Zach!
Sorry to hear you and Gigi have been sick :-( Will pray for complete healing.
My firstborn did NOT like to be held when he ate. My next child didn't like to be held face-to-face but preferred looking out. Every child has their idiosyncrasies. Maybe Gigi doesn't want to be held when she doesn't feel well, since she is able to rest and goes to sleep when you put her in her crib. Praying you figure it all out :-) Parenting is hard enough, but throw in a child who has already developed patterns and preferences further complicates it.
Happy Birthday Zachary.
All your kids are beautiful! And the way you honor them with your words is inspiring.
Happy Birthday to Zachary!!
Post a Comment